Beyond the Seas

Rebs
Rebs
Rebs

Beyond the Seas

Post by Rebs »

Has anyone ever heard of this site before ??? By some small miracle I have found this site that covers convict records. Apparently my William Leeming had a Petition for Clemency filed by his mother. On it is stated approx death of his father, her name and the names of his multitude of siblings.

It also gives their exact address, the hulk he was being held on, and a brief gaolers report. The price for a copy of this partition is 16 pound, but I'm hesitant is forking out money on a site I have never come across before. I wonder if these type of records are available else where. Ref no is Dscn3344-5

And of course I found this literally 5 minutes AFTER I had forked out $20 for a dud death cert - typical !!!

Q

Re: Beyond the Seas

Post by Q »

Sounds good.

I found a record of the hulk he was in

UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 about William Leeming
Name: William Leeming
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1819
Date Received: 20 May 1836
Ship: Euryalus
Place Moored: Chatham
Date Convicted: 6 Apr 1836
Place Convicted: Preston
I can send the original if you want it.

Did you know that he had applied to marry a Sarah Cook, but it was refused because he
was already married?

Found this after a little poking around. Permission to Marry - Refusal 24 April, 1835 NSW William Leeming and Sarah Cook.
Obviously the William sent over in 1830 because mine had not been convicted yet.

Did you manage to see his parents names or to you have to pay first?
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Rebs
Rebs
Rebs

Post by Rebs »

This where it gets confusing. His blasted age. One record states he was 13 at the time of his trial/transportation. Another has his age at 17. Age at time of marriage in Tasmania in 1854 he apparently is 28 so that would have him born in 1826. And there is nothing for either of them on the certificate regarding previous marriages. Although I know she was a widow with a daughter because it was listed on her convict records. He apparently is single, according to his convict indentures.

There were two William Leeming convicts - one in 1830, the other in 1836 (mine) The first was sent to New South Wales, my William to Tasmania.

This petition of clemency apparently has the name of his mother and siblings, none of which I have. So far I have been stuck at William himself and love to go back another generation or two.

Rebs
Rebs
Rebs

Post by Rebs »

Interesting, Tas archives must have updated their records because I've never seen this before. A permission to marry Mary Curran July 1854, which I had. But also permission to marry Mary McCarthy (which was her name from her first marriage) 1 month prior to the Curran app.

More interesting, permission to marry Mary St John in October, 1853. Was this the marriage you were talking about or was there one in England before he was transported ???

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

THAT SITE IS SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

i help everyone...why dosnt anyone help me

Q

Post by Q »

Sorry Rebs, I never got another chance to look yesterday I will try again today.
A couple of things though, I noticed on some records that bouneries were change and
some places that are Lancs now once were Yorks. Also do you have any record of where
he was actually born.

Also, when I was looking on Ancestry there was a James Leeming convict age 13, do you
think the name could have got altered along the way. Could do with looking at the
list of convicts on the Francis Charlotte. Maybe they were brothers.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Q

Post by Q »

No, James wasn't on the same ship, he was imprisoned for 2 month,
convicted in the same place as William but in October 1836. The could be
brothers. See if I can find out any more about James.

More dead ends. There are more Jame's than William's

Rebs
Rebs
Rebs

Post by Rebs »

lol, far too many dead ends Q. As a friend said about her research................."Francis Walkden or bamboo skewered fingernails???" Bamboo skewers are looking the more enjoyable option at this stage, lol.

As far as I know, William was born Preston. Will note young James though, as any Leeming from the Preston area is likely to be related in some way. Might chase up a friend in the UK and see if they are able to get this new found record from Lanc's record office. Would have to be a lot cheaper than what the other site is offering it for. I'm a little tired - and pissed off - of buying records for this chap that are useless to me.

Q

Post by Q »

I haven't done much to my own tree for ages. I seem to spend
all my time doing for others these days. I don't mind though,
I enjoy it.

About the Walkden fellow. My last Dr was called Walken-Brown.
Could it be a relation.

I will keep on looking, some times new records come on line.

The James I was looking at must have been a bit of a villian.
There ar heaps of criminal records for him. Eventually her was
transported.

Do you have Ancestry?

Rebs
Rebs
Rebs

Post by Rebs »

I do have ancestry.........I think it is the UK/Aus heritage collection. Been playing up a lot lately though, keeps giving me a lot of hits from outside my search perimeters, but misses obvious records. Always good to have other folk looking as they might see what I miss.

Just received an email reply to an enquiry I made on the weekend regarding the death of William Leeming. There is a convict site called Founders and Survivors that I had never come across before that had William on their database, with a date of death. Apparently he died in 1870 whilst still in Tasmania. The family must have moved to Victoria after his death. Hopefully they have the correct William Leeming. I have a reference no for the death cert. Hopefully the death certs are more forthcoming with info than what their marriage certs are.