DIZZI

Tony Oz

DIZZI

Post by Tony Oz »

Gwen. Wondering if you can tell me, or find out for me, if there was or did ever exist in London somewhere, a place called "Broadbents" or "Broadfords" where peeps did an Apprenticeship to become a Piano Tuner or similar. ( Musician )

According to an Aunt of mine ( my grandads eldest daughter ) who was born here in Oz.......that her father did some sort of a Piano Tuner apprenticeship in London, somewhere between 1890 and 1910.

The ony information i have was on a written letter sent to me by my Aunt back 20 years ago, but unfortunatley she is deceased now.

She was told by her dad that he did an appenticeship to become a Piano tuner in a place called "Broadbents" or "Broadfords" or Broad..... something in London.

Trouble is it was away back in the late 1800s or early 1900s

I have tried to "Google" but cant find nothing.

Thanks. Tony x
Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Tony Oz

Re: DIZZI

Post by Tony Oz »

O'kay ...have found what i was looking for.....so ignore my last post Dizzi.... :bk

It was BROADWOODS....i knew it was Broad...something :?:

John Broadwoods & Sons

http://www.uk-piano.org/broadwood/history.html

Tony x
Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

TONY
OUT OF INTEREST WASYOU RELLIE BLIND
A LOT OF PIANO TUNERS WERE
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

i help everyone...why dosnt anyone help me

Tony Oz

Post by Tony Oz »

Hi Gwen.

No, my Grandad wasnt blind.

I did notice that Broadwood & Sons did make piano's for the blind, and it was quite interesting reading.
I guess, to be a good Piano Tuner it was a matter of having "An ear for sound for tuning" rather than sight, so the blind would do just as well Tuning pianos.
Probably why i can play the Guitar and tune it... without reading music..lol
A gift from my grandad perhaps.....:>))

According to various Web sites Broadwoods was the oldest Piano makers in England.

My Grandad was a Piano Tuner in India and when they came to Aussie land he continued Piano tuning.
I can see him listed on Aussie electorol rolls as Occupation...Piano Tuner, and also i have his appointment diaries.

As my grandad had done an Apprentice with Broadwood in London, i thought there might be some apprentice documents held in some old archives?

I did a Google Earth in London, and then a street view, as apparently back in the late 1800s Broadwood & Sons were on the crn of Conduit street and Hanover square....and thought on the off chance it might be still there, but i think it moved to somewhere in Kent or Surrey?

When he lived in Melbourne,1915 to 1948 he worked for Allen's music in Melbourne City, but they had a large fire back in the 30s - 40s and all records of people who worked for them were destroyed in the fire

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

The archives of John Broadwood and Sons, held at Surrey History Centre,

google answer
xxx
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

i help everyone...why dosnt anyone help me

Tony Oz

Post by Tony Oz »

Thanks Gwen :bk

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

How fascinating Sir T and DIZZI, thank you :D
I also find it fascinating how music and other things run in families whcih Fh shows you.

My maternal great great ggreat grandfather was a pprofessor of music - played the organ and taught music at school. His children were musical and had great voices by all accounts - L has a super voice and was opera trained for a while and also plays music by ear and used to compose before she became ill. My maternal grandfather also played by ear too. :D Sems to have missed me though :roll:
:bh

erich

Post by erich »

Playing piano by ear is pretty clever, but I fiddle with my beard! :roll:

Tony Oz

Post by Tony Oz »

JALimestone Plains wrote:How fascinating Sir T and DIZZI, thank you :D
I also find it fascinating how music and other things run in families whcih Fh shows you.

My maternal great great ggreat grandfather was a pprofessor of music - played the organ and taught music at school. His children were musical and had great voices by all accounts - L has a super voice and was opera trained for a while and also plays music by ear and used to compose before she became ill. My maternal grandfather also played by ear too. :D Sems to have missed me though :roll:
JA. On my fathers side we were all very musical talented.....so it appears :D

I knew my grandad was a Piano tuner and also perhaps played the piano. The unfortunate thing is he died a year before was born ( 1947 ) so i never knew him.
My aunt ( his daughter ) had given me ( back in the 60s ) some piano music books ( songs ) that he had written, so from this i gather he could play or was musical talented.

( a story )It only goes to show you are better to double check everything yourself:
I was searching in England on the 1901 census a few years back, and i had found one of his brothers, and the person who transcribed this 1901 census had his brother Edward down as Occ: "Milkman" so for years after i searched various "Dairy's" in Essex ,England, trying to see if i could locate who his brother Edward worked for....but never found anything?
When the 1901 came on line i was able to view the "actual" 1901 census itself....and noticed that the transcriber had typed down the wrong Occupation for Edward.
Looking closely at the 1901 cert ( Occupation ) i noticed the word wasnt "Milkman".....but "Musician"....lol
So it was then i gathered there was some Musical talent back through the generations.

My Father and his brother were professional musicians in Melbourne in the 50s. My dad played Guitar, Ukelele, Banjo....and his brother played the Squeeze box ( Piano Accordian ), Piano, and electronic Organ......and every Sunday back in the 50s the BBQ was lit, the 9 gallon Beer kegs were de-corked.... and the music began. Neighbours came from everywhere, and my elder cousin ( my Aunts daughter ) sang ( great voice )...... My dad was not religious, but he and his brother and mates called this Sunday " Holy hour".......hee hee

As a kid myself my father taught me Guitar...but as he never read music himself, never passed this on to me, but i could knock out many a tune on Guitar by just remembering the sounds and chords. I also taught two of my daughters ( Guitar ) and both play quite well. My younger brother also plays Guitar.

A musical family handed down through the generations perhaps?

( below holidaying in Essex England 2005 ) A pic of myself standing outside the pub"The Bird in Hand" in Earls Colne Essex, Eng......where my grandads father was a publican and woodsman come roofthatcher. 9 children ( including ) my grandad lived here 1881 and 1891 census......and i can imagine a Piano sitting in the parlour being played by one of my greats to the patrons while they drank there hot Toddies....lolol It was a Sunday and the pub was closed ( unfortunatley ) ...but i did nick around the back of the pub and nick a small token ( empty beer bottle ) for keepsake to take back to Aussie.

000_0777.JPG

Eric.....lol
My ears are to short to play Guitar....but i do play with the G-String every now and then :D [/b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zackeresen

Post by Zackeresen »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Tony :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marie