Where else to find information?

erich

Where else to find information?

Post by erich »

Hello everyone. I'm afraid I'm still pursuing my difficult family history without much success. So I hope you don't mind me asking some more questions please.

As many of you know from my previous posts, I'm struggling to find any information about the birth of my grandmother (Olive Blanch Clark). She was apparently born in 1891 in Prahran in Melbourne, but I have been unable to find any birth certificate, and there are suspicions that her named father may not be the real father, and her mother is unknown. So I am looking for alternative sources of information. I have tried the following:
  1. Baptismal records. Her nominal father & stepmother were not married in a church, but I have tried the two churches the family had been associated with, but I couldn't find anything.
  2. Neither of her nominal parents' death certificates mention her as "issue" - since her father died first, this information would have come from her stepmother.
  3. Her marriage certificate names her father and stepmother as parents - this information would have come from her.
  4. I have not got her death certificate, but I would be pretty sure it would have the same information as her marriage certificate.
  5. There are no gravestones where her nominal parents are buried.
So I am wondering what else might be out there. Does anybody know anything about any of these please?
  1. If her birth was registered but in another surname, is there any way I can search birth records on birth date (assuming that is correct)?
  2. Even if her birth wasn't registered, would there be any hospital or midwife records?
  3. Could she have been adopted? If so, would there be any record of this? (Someone has suggested I try Anglicare.)
  4. She must have started school at some time - would there still be any records of her enrolment?
  5. Were there any compulsory medical checks in those days?
  6. Are there census records, electoral rolls, etc, that I wouldn't have found on Ancestry?
  7. Anything else anyone can think of?
Any ideas on useful records and where to find them would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Re: Where else to find information?

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

ACCORDING TO ANCESTRY THERES A ENTRY
Australia Birth Index, 1788-1922

Birth, Baptism & Christening

View Image

Preview
Name: Olive B Clark

There's more to see
Birth Date Father's Name
Mother's Name Birth Place
Registration Year Registration Place
Registration Number

Name: Olive B Clark
Father: James Clark
Birth: year - location

BUT I CAN ONLY SEE UK
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

i help everyone...why dosnt anyone help me

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

: Francis Leo Hargrave
Mother: Mary Mcquillan
Father: Francis Hargrave
Birth: location

AUSTRALIA
ISTHIS ONE OF YOURS
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

DIZZI THAT OLIVE B CLARK WAS BORN IN NSW - FATHER JAMES BORN 1889
:bh

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

THINK ALL THREADS FOR ERIC NEEDS TO BE IN ONE
WILL MOVE TO HIS OWN THREAD UNDER TRYING TO FIND
LATER THIS AFTERNOON

THANKS JOAN,,,
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

erich

Post by erich »

Is this the UK entry you mentioned on another thread? If so, I just can't see it being true. These were poor people who I doubt would ever have travelled very far, certainly not back to UK to give birth. But thanks for persisting with looking.

erich

Post by erich »

Dizzi,

Further to my last, I will try to check out the two interesting searches you have done. Thanks.

(1) Yes, there is an Olive B Clark with father James on Ancestry. I'm not currently subscribing to Ancestry, so I can't look it up either. But I was subscribed a few weeks back and I'm pretty sure I checked that one out and it was the wrong period. When I re-suscribe, I will check it again. Yes, I notice JAL says father James was born in 1889, only 2 years before Olive was born, so that rules him out.

(2) Likewise, I think I would have checked out the Hargraves entry you mention, and it didn't appear to be right either. The problem is that there are quite a few Francis & Mary Hargraves, but none that I could find in the right place at the right time with a child Ernest.

But thanks again.

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

ERIC

LATER TONIGHT I WILL MOVE ALL YOUR THREADS
TOGETHER ONTO THE NEW FORUM TRYING TO FIND
WHERE YOU WILL HAVE YOUR OWN SECTION
TO MAKE IT EASIER TO KEEP TRACK
DIZZ
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

erich

Post by erich »

Is there a "new forum"? I'm afraid I don't understand.

I would prefer to keep them as separate threads. I ask specific and different questions in each one. Even though the discussion often develops into something similar, I am still interested in the original question.

For example, in this thread I am still interested in getting any advice on other sources of information.

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

Sorry sloppy posting re the Olive born in NSW, the father is James, it was Olive who was born in 1889 - I will try to be more precise in future :D
:bh