Format for printing family tree

erich

Format for printing family tree

Post by erich »

I'm sure this is a much asked question, but I'll ask it again anyway.

I have two family trees under investigation, and one of them goes back 4-5 generations and is almost compete to that level. I currently have it stored on Ancestry (here if anyone's interested - http://trees.Ancestry.com.au/tree/20496 ... =956892039) but I think it would be best to store it on my own computer as well, and present it in a different form.

Some people present family trees in a diagram form, like Ancestry's diagram, but running vertically (this is visually good, but can get messy with larger trees, and doesn't allow much information to be stored) while others set it out more like a word processing document with indented paragraphs for each successive generation (which is visually much harder to understand quickly, but works for large trees and allows lots of information).

Is there a generally accepted best format? Is it best to use a dedicated family history program to display it, or do most people just use a word processor and format it themselves?

Thanks

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Re: Format for printing family tree

Post by JALimestone Plains »

Erich, good to see you back - I think I remember you were going to Melbourne sometime, have you been and was it successful?

We all use different tree programs - mine is Family tree maker - allows me to down load and upload a gedcom ( universal tree language program) form sites like ancestry and to work off line. Others may give you comment on theirs - depends on what fits your style of entry. :D
:bh

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Eric I haven't decided how I will do mine yet..I have it on Ancestry and Roots Magic. and Family Tree Maker..the last 2 are tree programmes that allow you to upload and download your tree ...
Still thinking about it....
Mary

Q

Post by Q »

Hi Eric, I use Legacy on my computer. The tree programs for your
computer are so much easier than doing it your self. If you look
at the different sites, I think some of them have free downloads
( just the very basics), but it would give you an idea which you
prefer.

With most programs you can produce books, charts etc.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

erich

Post by erich »

JALimestone Plains wrote:Erich, good to see you back - I think I remember you were going to Melbourne sometime, have you been and was it successful?
I go next week. I'll let you know about it later.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I should have added that I use a Mac, which limits the software a little.

But I was also interested in the format that is found most useful - the more graphical one like on Ancestry or the more paragraph-based one like here.

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

HI ERIC
IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS YOU COULD EXPORT YOUR TREETO OUR TREES
ON ANCESTRY YOU JUST GET IT SENT BY EMAIL THEN FORWARD TO US
STU SETS IT UP,BUT TREE STAYS ON ANCESTRY AS WELL
XX
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR