Experienced people, what would you guess?

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Re: Experienced people, what would you guess?

Post by Mary in Oz »

Someone may find this useful..free Ancestry for a day..census day..

Ancestry are offering free 24 hour access to their Census records on Census day, 27th March 2011
Mary

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

Thanks Mare good find - do you think it would be an idea to out a separate thread up on both the research and trying to find sections, people might look there :D
:bh

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

OK good idea...xxx
Mary

shazza in oz

Post by shazza in oz »

Gosh, I hadnt seen this post before, you guys are fantastic, if ever I need a detective mob, I will definitely call you wattlers... :D

Whoops 2nd thoughts, I am researching a Rita Starkey, marriage to Herbert Sydney Petshelis, known as Herbert Sydney Smith 24th June 1939, marriage made Null and Void 28th August 1941.
Couple were married at St Matthews Church, Manly.
Lady's Occupation at time states (Domestic Duties), Usual Place of Residence (Newcastle), Fathers' Name = John, Mother's Name = Unknown
Witness are = V V Arneil
= Marjorie Burdus

LM, Sir Tones, JA, Can you Help

Ta :bk

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Hi Shazzy Will give it a go, but I am not to good on OZ searching..JA is better than me at that..so we better get her in on the search to..
I know the church they were married in as it is on the Corso in Manly..Lovely church..

Will get back soon... :bk
Mary

Tony Oz

Post by Tony Oz »

shazza in oz wrote:Gosh, I hadnt seen this post before, you guys are fantastic, if ever I need a detective mob, I will definitely call you wattlers... :D

Whoops 2nd thoughts, I am researching a Rita Starkey, marriage to Herbert Sydney Petshelis, known as Herbert Sydney Smith 24th June 1939, marriage made Null and Void 28th August 1941.
Couple were married at St Matthews Church, Manly.
Lady's Occupation at time states (Domestic Duties), Usual Place of Residence (Newcastle), Fathers' Name = John, Mother's Name = Unknown
Witness are = V V Arneil
= Marjorie Burdus

LM, Sir Tones, JA, Can you Help

Ta :bk

Shazz. This is a long shot, and would need further checking mate.

Did RITA STARKEY have a second given name of MAVIS.....ie: Rita Mavis STARKEY

You say her marriage was enulled in Aug 1941...to Herbert Syney Petshelis/Smith

Could she have re-married during the same year ( 1941 ) to someone else using her maiden name of STARKEY..???

Anyway....i will list what i have found to get the ball rolling,.......but it would need further chcking mate.

NSW marriage which you already know
17934/1939 PETSHELIS HERBERT SYDNEY Spouse: STARKEY RITA District: MANLY
17934/1939 SMITH HERBERT SYDNEY Spouse: STARKEY RITA District: MANLY

Marriage of a "RITA MAVIS STARKEY" 1941 ( but i dont know what month, so it would have to be after August 1941 )
5377/1941 MOBBS FRANK spouse: STARKEY RITA MAVIS District: GOSFORD

Death of Husband Frank MOBBS 1943
19123/1943 MOBBS FRANK Father: REGINALD JAMES Mother: ADA District: HORNSBY

Re-Marriage of Rita Mavis MOBBS - STARKEY 1945..... to Bede GLEESON
14974/1945 GLEESON BEDE Spouse: MOBBS RITA MAVIS District:GOSFORD

Death notice of a Rita Mavis GLEESON - MOBBS - STARKEY in 2002
The RYERSON contemporary death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers.

GLEESON Rita Mavis Death notice 16SEP2002 Death 80 late of Toowoon Bay, formerly of Mangrove Creek Sydney Morning Herald 18SEP2002

GLEESON Rita Mavis Death notice 16SEP2002 Death 80 late of Toowoon Bay, formerly of Mangrove Creek Central Coast Express Advocate 20SEP2002

Tony
Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

shazza in oz

Post by shazza in oz »

Thanks Tones, I had seen that before, so it looks like I may have to either take a trip into the BDM, or else buy a few certificates, thanks again for the help :bk

Thanks also LM :bk

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

Shazz looks like you and the team have got somewhere. Not sure what else the National Library could tell us. Any ideas Sir T?

Maybe I could look up the deaath notices - would there be any more information I wonder?
:bh

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Well done Sir Tone...I knew that you where better than I at OZ records... I found the marriage and that is as far as I have got ..afraid been a bit busy...
I hope that is some help Shazz..get back if we can do anything more.. :bk
Mary

erich

Post by erich »

Hello everyone,

I started this thread almost exactly a year ago to seek help in tracing my Grandfather, Ernest McQuillan Hargraves. Everyone helped a lot, but we were unable to come up with anything definitive. Perhaps the most hopeful lead was the thought that he wasn't born in Lincoln as recorded on his marriage certificate, but in Linton in Yorkshire, for there are more Hargraves in Yorkshire (and Lancashire) than elsewhere. Some plausible people were found but no-one could be clearly identified as my Grandfather. No Ernest McQuillan Hargraves seemed to exist

Someone (I think it was JAL) advised me to just hang around and not give up, and something might eventually turn up.

I am happy to report that I now have a lead. Ancestry has advised me that they have found an Ernest McQuillan Hargraves in West Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906. I'm presuming these are records just obtained by Ancestry. This is promising, the first time I have found someone of the right name, so I'm off to the library tomorrow (I hope) to check it out.

I'm so excited, I just thought I'd let you all know. Thanks.