Parish registers

Stella

Parish registers

Post by Stella »

Don't know if I'm putting this on the right board, but does anyone know where I would find parish registers for Aberford in West Yorkshire. I have an ancestor born there in 1826 who was illegitimate - I know the mother's name, but am wondering if the father is mentioned on the parish register. There were no birth certificates then as you probably know.

Bobtail

Post by Bobtail »

Dont know if you have seen this blokes site it is of old postcards of Aberford, perhaps he has churches then you could apply to the church to see what happened to the parish records.
http://www.aberford.info/Welcome.html

Stella

Post by Stella »

Thanks Bobtail for that. I'll take a look. :)

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Stella I have been searching the parish records of Worcester and Staffs. and every illegitimate birth I have not seen a father mentioned..All they put is "Base born daughter /son of ...mary smith..
I have two born in my tree,, brothers , and the only way I can get to know their father is to see if the mother applied for a Basterdy Bond in the Quarter Sessions court....I dont think she did as she seem to have disapeared soon after the second one was born..so she is going to be a tough one..

Happy hunting..

Love Mary xx
Mary