Jones/Maynard

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Re: Jones/Maynard

Post by Mary in Oz »

Hi all.. Just had a quick look and found
Elizabeth Maynard married a Edward Jones father Immanuel Jones 20/1/1860 at Residence of Henry Dorrell Naracoorte Robe SA.
Page 27 Vol. 41

Death of Thomas Maynard Yando Vic. 1909 Registration number 11447 Estimated birth year 1842

Death of William Maynard Naracoorte 17/10/18790 age 42 Registered at Naracoorte Robe SA Page 68 Volume 98 Estimated birth year 1837

Death of Martha Maynard 24/6/1891 Naracoorte age 83 Residence place Naracoorte Robe SA Page 262 Vol. 194 Estimated birth year 1808

I hae found them in the 1841 and 1851 census also..

Hope this helps..will try more later..
Mary

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

checked a few NZ electoral rolls - lots of Jones - found one couple - Edward James Jones and an Elizabeth 1896, 1900, 1905/6 Canterbury/Selwyn - he is a horsebreaker - does this fit with your contact info
:bh

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Snap LM Doffs hat to you :D my searching was easier than yoursas I have the SA discs
Good find the Thomas Maynard in Vic
I could not find a brith in SA from 1842 onwards for Edward :roll:

wilson

Post by wilson »

Thanks everyone,

I have info on the rest of the clan..... (that Martha is Charles's wife).
It is just what happened to Charles Maynard senior?, and anything on
Edward Jones and Elizabeth Jones, nee Maynard post their marriage
in SA.

The only info i have from this new contact is that they (Edward and Elizabeth)
were in NZ

Here is an exerpt

"I still can't find her death certificate, any shipping records or birth certificates for their children although the marriage information I have says they were born in Ross, Westland, NZ. May have arrived in the South Island of NZ around 1862-1865 His death certificate says he came from Suffolk in England but I can't find any record of his birth there and he was considerably older then Elizabeth (he was born around 1827)
Elizabeth and Edward Jones apparently had three boys and 1 girl. The girls name is Eliza Ann or Elizabeth Ann(they seem to be interchangeable which is also confusing) and three boys - Edward (my husbands great grandfather), Charles and ? (I can't find birth certificates for any of them). I noted that in Edward's death notice in 1908 it says he left behind three sons and a daughter but not a wife so I am inferring that Elizabeth was already dead but this is just a guess!!"

Not sure where to for from here, :?:

I will try to find out if his name was Eward James Jones, that would make it easier if i had a second name. or could that be his son?
May you always have love to share
Health to spare
And friends that care

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Wilson from google this must be your contact
"I have just discovered that my husband's family are related to an Elizabeth Maynard who married Edward Jones in Naracoorte in 1860. I note in one of your postings that you have information about Charles and Martha's daughters in Australia. I do know that Edward and Elizabeth moved to Ross on the west coast of NZ not long after that but I have no other information regarding them."
I must admit to being a bit confused by the contact info you pasted but this helps a little

LM you will know more where Ross is in NZ and be able to pick up things I cannot. Also how to search shipping records for NZ
Wilson, does the contact have a track back with certificates from her husband to Edward and Elizabeth /

Sorry about not finding Charles - i checked trove as well but apart from a drover called Charles maynard i could not track anything else

wilson

Post by wilson »

Yes JA, that is her, comes off Genealogywise. One of the sites i was using to try to find my Charles :D
He is my absolute brick wall, with Dizzy's help i have found mor info, in England, but from the time he hit
Australian shores, he has dissapeared into thin air, this NZ thing with his daughter has got me excited, thinking....
is this where he ended up :?: I have been rationalising that as his wife and children arrived with him, then walked
to SA, that he must have gone to SA as well. They were assisted migrants, so think that the sponser probably
wouldn't take on the wife and children if Charles wasn't with them :?: I can trace the rest of the children and his
wife, just not Charles himself. I know i am grasping at straws with the NZ conection, but feel i have exhausted
Australian records looking for him, and going to NZ if his daughter went there, seems plausible.

I emailed the lady last night to ask that same question, so am now awaiting a reply.

Thanks so much for looking for me :bk
Health to spare
And friends that care

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

I could not find a death for Charles on NZ records on line - no obvious births for Elizabeth and Edward Jones - one child, no parents listed was an Edward James Jones - 1865 - 3876 I remember seeing the elecltoral roll for and Edward James Jones and Elizabeth Jones - very long shot - maybe your contact will tell us more.
Do you know who sponsored the family out from the UK?
meant to ask before - do you have the marriage certificate for Elizabeth and Edward - I have not seen an SA one so not sure what information there is on it - I know the Victorian ones have a lot of info about parents and occupations and where parents were born.

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

JA The marriage for Elizabeth Maynard and Edward Jones gives the following

Father of bride Charles Maynard
FAther of groom Immanuel Jones
marriedd 20/1/1860 in the Residence of Henry Dorrell naracoorte Robe SA Page 27 and vol 41

I have been looking on any nz sites that I can find but so far no luck..it is such a hard name to search for and not knowing Edwards occupation makes it a bit harder..but still looking... :D
Mary

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

LM, I am wondering if the actual marriage certificate gives more details than found on line
Looking like trying to find a needle in a haystack :lol: But we did good between us with Ron's NZ so go for it :D

wilson

Post by wilson »

Thanks for the determination Mary and JA :bh

I don't actually have the hard copy of the marriage of Elizabeth Maynard and Edward Jones. I got burnt last time i applied for a SA cert and haven't tried for any since. I sent away for the death cert for Martha Maynard nee Lee, hoping to get some extra info, cost $30 and when it came back ages later, it said " Martha Maynard dead" :lol: no relative, no anything :sup I already knew she was dead.....even knew where and when she was buried. :roll: At the same time i asked for any information on births for Martha and Charles once they arrived in SA, cos i had a hint that there may have been another child born here. That came back "NO births" another $30. So $60 for absolutely NO information. i have been loath to give them anymore money. But maybe i should shake out the moths :D

I am certain that that marriage for Edward and Elizabeth is mine as Mr Dorrell, is Elizabeths sister ELiza's husband ( Henry)

I found this.....
Could this be them heading to NZ??
JONES. Mr Mrs & (MAST).
LILY BRIG, MASTER D. Mc CALLUM.
PAS. FOR WELLINGTON. N.Z.
REG. 21/2/1868 P.2/COL/a. (DEP. 20/2/1868)

And yes the men who sponsered the family out were William MacIntosh and Duncan Mc Rae,
Also Naracoorte as named now was called Mosquito Plains in 1852.
William MacIntosh was a founding settler of the area and him and his brother owned lots of
land both in the township and rural alotments as well.

I am not fiving up yet....still waiting for a reply to my email to the contact....hope she doesn't take too long....i am impatient for the next lead :lol:
Health to spare
And friends that care