May you always have love to share
Health to spare
And friends that care

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Re: Jones/Maynard

Post by JALimestone Plains »

Good one LM :D Maybe your contact WIlson can can someone to look up the grave :D
:bh

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Any news form NZ?
Copying stuff you already know but may help Diz and LM

"The William MacIntosh Motor Lodge is named in memory of one of the Scottish founders of the town Kincraig, later renamed Naracoorte (from the Aboriginal... "Nara-Coota)

MacIntosh arrived here in 1845 from Kincraig, Scotland and opened a hotel and store where the Naracoorte Hotel and Eudunda Farmers Store now stand. He had the township surveyed on his own land - section 5, in the County of Robe - and he named the main street after the early pastoralists Ormerod, Smith and Robertson, and his partner Duncan McRae.

He later acquired grazing properties, including Naracoorte Station (situated near the Motel on the north-western side of Naracoorte Creek Bride) as well as Moy Hall, Crower, Mt Scott and Bakers Range Stations.

Towards the end of the century, he suffered losses partly as a result of recurring droughts, and he returned to Naracoorte to carry on business as an agent. He lived in the house built by Aitchison Grieve which can be seen in the early prints which hung in the Motel Restaurant.

MacIntosh grew old as a genteel and dignified man, well loved by the community which he founded. It is said that his pet swan sometimes accompanied him on his walks around town.

He died in Naracoorte in 1905 at the age of 86, survived by his six daughters and leaving behind him many reminders of his productive life.

These include the MacIntosh Squares in the centre of the town, the land on which the Presbyterian Church is built, and the church bell, all of which he donated. He is remembered by a beautiful stained-glass window at the head of the church".

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Wilson In the Australian Deaths index on Ancestry I found

Name Charles Maynard
Death Place..Victoria
Age 30
Fathers Name ..U
Registration Year..1870
Registration Place Victoria
Registration Number 3289
Estimated Birth Year Abt 1840

Could this be the son,,Charles Maynard
Thomas died in Victoria so could he have gone there with his brother..
Mary

wilson

Post by wilson »

I don't know what to think any more Mary.

In 1870 IF young Charles Maynard didn't die enroute to Australia he would have been 21.
After my re checking the original shipping manifest yesterday, i am confident that the
young Charles didn't make it to Australia. The ships records appear pretty accurate, with
lots of detail on each passenger. Even included if they could read, write, and where they
were heading to in Australia, along with how much they were being paid by their sponser.

Thanks for continuing to have a look for me, i feel like i am going around in circles :D

JA, i went to Naracoorte a couple of years ago, William MacIntosh was a very well documented
settler of the area, quite an interesting man. I tried to find if any worker documentation
was kept by the station's. Thought that because MacIntosh was a big deal that some of
his personal diaries may have survived. He owned a lot of business's and farms. No luck
there either, but it was an interesting visit.
Health to spare
And friends that care

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Wilson I remember you going to Naracoorte and finding things there but no Charles senior - where can he be - did he set off with the family to go to Naracoorte - did he die on the way -did he not go with them, did he leave to find gold, did he get thrown into jail - so many possibilities - did he change his name grrrrrrrrr :D

wilson

Post by wilson »

:D Could be any of those things JA,

And since i found one of his daughters went to NZ after she married,......did he go there too?

Who knows, and how do i find out, i have been trying to find out for many years :roll:
Health to spare
And friends that care

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Just looked up Ross - a gold mining town which fits with Edward's occupation as miner - gold rush was 1860s. LM would you have any idea of how to find out what electorate Ross was in in the 1860s? I did see that the NZ government created some goldmining electorates around Otago (? sp) but no rolls although they were alllowed to vote on presentation of thier miner's licence. Miners in other electorates were treated as ordinary citizens. Knowing the electorate in the 1860's would make it easier to search Ancestry rolls.
If we assume that the children on Edward's certificate are his and ELizabeths then she was alive in - opps need to go and check dates on other thread -

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Copied from Wilson post on general thread
HI DIZZ,

THAT IS THE COUPLE THAT I AM STARTING TO FIND MORE INFORMATION ON.
THEY WENT TO NEW ZEALAND, I HAVEN'T FOUND THEIR MIGRATION YET.
I APPLIED FOR EDWARD'S DEATH CERT WHICH SAYS HE HAD BEEN IN NZ
FOR 45 YEARS, MAKING THEIR ARRIVAL THERE IN ABOUT 1863.
ALSO ON SAME CERT IT SAYS HE HAD ONE DAUGHTER 33 AND
THREE SONS 40,38,36. I HAVE HIS BURIAL AT ROSS ON THE SOUTH
ISLAND IN 1908. I AM NOW LOOKING FOR WHERE/WHEN ELIZABETH
DIED..............AND HAVING A BIT OF A LOOK TO SEE IF THIS IS

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Ok sons born, 1868, 1870, 1872,and daughter 1875 if info on the death certificate is correct. Was an informant listed WIlson or cause of death?
Wonder what registration district Ross was in :D