James Pringle - my GGGrandfather

Yvonne from Oz

James Pringle - my GGGrandfather

Post by Yvonne from Oz »

I am closing in on James Pringle, who with his wife Rebecca, is my last missing link on my mother's side of the family.

Just tonight I made a tentative connection with a James Pringle, age 19, who was sent out on the John Barry, arriving 1839.
It gives his birthplace as Roxburgh and his occupation as stocking maker!!! Previously I had turned up a possible birthplace as Kelso,
Roxburg is reasonably close to Kelso. James was tried at the Jedburgh Court of Justiciary and sentenced for 7 years.

James's parent's names on his death notice in the NSW BDM are given as John and Elizabeth.

Any information on the Scottish end appreciated but please don't spend money or if you do - let me pay. :)

It is so long since I researched a convict that I have to relearn where to go all over again!! :lol:

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Re: James Pringle - my GGGrandfather

Post by Mary in Oz »

Vonny Are the places mentioned in Scotland or England.Afraid I dont know them..Will have a look for you tomorrow.. :D
Mary

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

LM I they are Scotland methinks. Go for it fellow researcher :D
:bh

Yvonne from Oz

Post by Yvonne from Oz »

:bk :bk to JA and LM. Thank you for all you have uncovered so far.

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

TREE ONN ANCESTRY

1817 Birth Kelso, Scotland 3 source citations Hide source citations

Australian Convict Index, 1788-1868
New South Wales, Australia, Certificates of Freedom, 1827-1867
UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 1838 11 SepAge: 21 Conviction Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland James is sentenced to 7 years, it was his 3rd conviction for theft. His occupation was Stocking Maker (Weaver)
1838 27 OctAge: 21 Residence Prison Hulks at Woolich James spent time on the Prison Hulk "Justitia" where the Gaoler's Report notes bad behavior? and respectable connections. It also notes that he could both read and write. His voyage to New South Wales began 12 Nov,1838 from Sheerness, Kent.1 source citation Hide source citations
UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 1839 22 MarAge: 22 Arrival Colony of New South Wales, Australia James arrived in New South Wales on the "John Barry" 4,The Master was Capt. Robson.1 source citation Hide source citations
New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859 1842 -1845Age: 25 Residence Colony of New South Wales, Australia James received his Pardon and is an Emancipated Convict.1 source citation Hide source citations
New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859 1845 10 OctAge: 28 Certificate of Freedom Queanbeyan, New South Wales, Australia James is described as being 5'9in tall with light brown hair and grey eyes, also fair and freckled.1854
Age: 37 Marriage Goulburn, New South Wales 1 source citation Hide source citations
Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950 1874 8 DecAge: 57 Death Woden, New South Wales, Australia James was Overseer at "Congwarra" where he became seriously ill. His wife Rebecca and daughter? placed him in a springcart to seek medical assistance in Queanbeyan. They had to take him into the Tong Res. at Woden as he was much worse and there he died. 1 source citation Hide source citations
Australia Death Index, 1787-1985 1874 Burial Presbyterian Section, Queanbeyan Riverside Cemetery
Comments
Jame's physical appearance
Diane2010Ausadded this to James Pringle on 17 Oct 2010
Death and Burial Detail
Diane2010Ausadded this to James Pringle on 11 Oct 2010
Add a comment View all comments (2)
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

i help everyone...why dosnt anyone help me

Yvonne from Oz

Post by Yvonne from Oz »

DIZZI,

Thank you :bk :bk You are right - there is a lot of information on him.

I had not properly noted it all so thank you for your copying.

Yvonne from Oz

Post by Yvonne from Oz »

Have just ordered:

James and Rebecca's Marriage (not sure there will be much as it is only an early church record) 1854
Elizabeth's birth cert 1867
James Death 1874
Rebecca's remarriage 1875
Rebecca's Death 1875 (cause I want to find out why she died!!)

:D

I'm hoping that the Birth Cert, James' death cert and Elizabeth's 2nd marriage will answer a lot of Questions.

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Vonny, exciting, how long before you get them? :D

Yvonne from Oz

Post by Yvonne from Oz »

According to the web-site 2 - 3 weeks. But I chose email delivery so it might be quicker!

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

looks like some news coming up :D