William Adams b. abt 1868 Gloucestershire

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Re: William Adams b. abt 1868 Gloucestershire

Post by JALimestone Plains »

Some Q logic from the other day
Mon May 02, 2011 4:24 pm

"Its the 2 Marsden men that have me puzzled.
If Martha was born in 1836 and Sarah married Marsden in 1843
then she couldn't have been her mother "

If she was married to Lee then she could have been, sorry Q - shame Martha was born around 1837 - the official records only started in Dec qtr 1837.

When I hit the pre civil records problem I contacted Huddersfield library, pleaded being in Australia and aksed if they could do two look ups for me - they did for free nad lots more for free. In the end I paid them 20 quide for lots of records. The Sheffield libary might do the same - just a thought. Or the Sheffiled geneaolgy society if there is one. Still thinking. :roll:
:bh

Q

Post by Q »

Thanks for the hits JA. We are out tomorrow but I have Wednesday free
at this stage.

Got to get dinner ready now, nothing fancy, Pasta tonight.

Thanks
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

catch you Wednesday Q. Enjoy pasta, always enjoy it :D

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Q and LM, where did Frederick and Martha live in 1861 and 1871? I am looking at births at present

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

There are 2 William F Adams births - LM found one Sept qtr 1869 Gloucester 6a 253. The other is in Bristol Dec qtr 1868. There are two deaths in the range 1911 to 1960 of William F Adams - one is in Bristol in Sept qtr 6a 945 - aged 76, I think they are one and the same and probably not yours Q unless family lived in Bristol area around the time of the 1871 census when William was born.

The other William F death is Gloucester City March qtr 1952 aged 81. Now the William F born in Gloucester in 1869 would have been 82 - which is close. However no :roll: where have we found William using F as his middle initial.

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Just looked at the 1911 census for William and Ada, it says that he was 40 at the time - birth 1871 - did he lie? The death in Goucester City in 1952 William was 81 - the right age if people thought he was born in 1871 :roll: OK back to the births in Gloucester for the period 1869 to 1872. Sorry Q seem to be putting more spanners in the works!

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Me again, thinking out loud. I know that Frederick Adams and family were not the best at filling out forms - bit wondering why he had William on 1911 census as labourer looks like town council and yet the William we have says coal trimmer :?: The William Ada Colley marriage cert might be the way to go - even if it cancels them out :roll: This is when it would be good for us to have a big win on lotto :sup

Q

Post by Q »

Not much time just now JA, I will try to sort through it all today some time.
Thanks
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Q, no hurry please, I know you are busy so whenever, after all I have taken a good two weeks to do this since I promised I would :D

Q

Post by Q »

Just an interest. I was surprised that William who had been
a telphone wire man and a Telegraphist became a coal trimmer
in 1901.
Just found out what a cola trimmer was.
Trimmers were men who filled the holds of coal vessels, 'colliers' and
'trimmed' or levelled the load.
When coals from the waggons are dropped or spouted into the hold of a vessel they produce a conical heap which, unless provided against, would soon block up the hatchway. To prevent this, sheets of iron are laid upon the cone as it rises which cause the coals to slide off in all directions ; these are placed by a set of men, called trimmers, who with shovels and rakes still further distribute the coal, or trim the cargo. They also levelled the coal so that it lay smooth and would not shift during the voyage causing the ship to list.

I don't understand where this would happen in Gloucester.

This family leaves so much up in the air.
I believe that Ada, William's 2nd wife was called Colley. On the
1901 census a Elizabeth Colley lived next door to William and Ada along with 2
sons Joseph and Charles.
In 1891 I found the Colley family with a daughter Ada and sons including Joseph and Charles.
It also states that Ada was born in Longford and some one has assumed Ireland, but on closer
inspection they lived in Longford Terrace. Ada's parents were born in Cheltenham.

I think I will assume that the information you have kindley collected for me on William is the
correct information until I am able to get some certificates to prove things.

I will now try to sort out Kate and her mother.