Kelso Scotland Missing Brothers MUNRO c1880 -->

Please supply as much information as you have.
If you are replying and got the information of the web please could you give them copy right info at the bottom of your post.
Ronald

Re: Kelso Scotland Missing Brothers MUNRO c1880 -->

Post by Ronald »

Sadness hit me last night, found one of the brothers sons killed in action on the island of crete in 1941.

can you please do a look up for me in Ancestry.com.au in the New Zealans world war II forces.

he is Thomas Murray MUNRO
Private, service number 3053
18 Battalion NZ Infantry
Killed in action 02JUN1941, burried at SUDA Cemetery, Crete, Greece.
aged 33,
son of Thomas Murray MUNRO and Ethel Eveline MUNRO.

Please, see if you can dig up his army records as I think they are on line now at ancestry.com, NZ doesnt have a servicemans data base like Australia, I believe.

thanks,
Sent off the two letters yesterday, next week wone be able to come wuick enough...

Ron
Some people worry about their past catching up with them - I'm trying to catch up with my past.

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Post by JALimestone Plains »

Ron, not sure I can find the records, just the enlistment record which I will send you. I am guessing you found the death info on the Commonwealth War Graves site
http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate. ... lty=936958

Ancestry.au does not seem to have war records for NZ - LM may have the .com one
:bh

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

Ron, no luck searching for records, as you said looks like you have to apply for them :roll: but found this
http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/the-bat ... e/overview

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Ron Will have a look for you and see what I can find..
Mary

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

hello Ron, googled Thomas Murray Munro - and this came up, not sure if you have seen it on geneaolgy wise - feb 2011 entry. I know sometimes i forget to go back and look at sites I post things on.

At 12:00am on February 28, 2011, Sarah Dalby said… Hi Ron,

While researching my family tree I came across a Thomas Murray Munro as my GGG Grandfather. This would mean him and his brother emmingrated to New Zealand. I searched them on our Births, Deaths, Marriages site and found: Thomas Murray Munro dies 1937 aged 73. David Alexander Stevenson Munro dies 1836 aged 79. DAS Munro married Louisa Dunstan in 1904 and Agnes Maitland Campbell in 1921. Thomas Murray never married but did have children. Hope this helps! Also I have been trying to trace back further but can only get back to thier parents, if you could help that would be great. end quote

It all fits with the death certificates you got. I think she means DASM died 1936. Also that as LM surmised, TMM never married but had children - all good That means that Sarah Dalby is a rellie! WHoohoooo

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Sorry Ron I could only find what JA found..will keep at it ..you never know..
Mary

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes, Sarah is a rellie ... and a 15 years old one at that...

I took a chance and typed in Dalby and the town Taumarunui and there was only one name in the list. R J & D N Dalby.... no S???

Rang the number and asked to talk to Sarah, but on chatting with her for a munite I asked her how ols she was ...

15!!!!! ron better talk to Daddy ... so asked to talk to dad and explained to him who I was aka 59 years old, munro SA etc etc.. and cleared it up with him to correspond with Sarah. Phew!!

She said she has only started doing this earlier this year .... so I will have a lot of history to pass on to her as her research hasn't got out of NZ yet..

Thanks a million ladies, would kiss ya both if you was closer!!

Ron
Some people worry about their past catching up with them - I'm trying to catch up with my past.

JALimestone Plains
Researcher
Researcher

terrific Ron :cong :clap does that mean she knows other relllies as well - but good to have someone on the ground even if Sarah is a wee young thing. Looking forward to hearing about the info she sends you and the contacts. Between the telphone contact LM found you and this you are on a roll - just great :D

Mary in Oz
Researcher
Researcher

Post by Mary in Oz »

Ron what good news..Taumeranui is a lovely little town and John worked there in his teens..I hope you can get to know a lot of kiwi rellies this way and perhaps visit one day... :bh
Mary

Dizzi R.I.P.
Dizzi Admin
Dizzi Admin

Post by Dizzi R.I.P. »

RON CAME ACROSS THIS WW1,IM ON THE TRAIN AT THE MOMENT SO LINMITED
INTERNET
meterenmilitary United Kingdom Private 148065Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)18/08/1918 Age: 21 V. J. 836. ... BRIDSON ARTHUR STEWART MUNRO Australian Private 5987Australian Infantry .... Australian Private 3053Australian Machine Gun Corps11/06/1918 Age: 22 IV. A. 549. ... New Zealand Private 47550New Zealand Entrenching Battalion ...
www.inmemories.com/Cemeteries/meterenmilitary.htm
Dizzi
sUpEr AdmiNiStRaToR

i help everyone...why dosnt anyone help me